Sunday, June 20, 2010

Another Father's Day

There's a good side and a bad side to Father's Day.

The good side is thinking about all the great memories I have of MY dad.  The bad side is thinking about all the memories I'm NOT making with him, and knowing it'll be a while before I make MORE memories with him.  The good side is knowing that I WILL make more memories with him.

The good side is seeing my brother and my brother in law grow as fantastic fathers.  The bad side is wondering when I'll meet MY kids' father.  The good side (?) is knowing I WILL.

The good side is seeing the fabulous influence of so many fathers in my life--my grandpas, my dad, my brother, my brother in law, my siblings' in-laws, my uncles, my cousins or their husbands, my friends or their  husbands, my branch presidency... too many to name.  The bad side is--well, I guess there's no bad side to that.

The good side is that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me, and I love Him.  The bad side is--hmmm, again, there's no bad side to that...

The moral of my story is that, although Father's Day can be a little reflective and nostalgic, it's far from tragic.  There are too many good fathers out there to focus on the few who don't treat their children with respect.  There is too much faith in an eternal plan to worry too much about a less-than-perfect present.  There's too much of a good side to get caught up in the bad side.

Happy Father's Day--celebrate the good side!  Love you, Dad!

2 comments:

  1. (Found you through Tiff's blog :))

    I love this! Goods & bads to all situations. You're so great to focus on the positive side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen I love your positive attitude on life! It's contagious and makes me happy. So glad I can ready your blog.

    ReplyDelete